Saturday, February 13, 2010

Awesome African Tapes...

If you've never been to Awesome Tapes From Africa then I suggest you go there ASAP... It's a dude from Brooklyn who posts a bunch of music from the continent of Africa to download...
Here are some of my favorites....


First up is Ramata Diakite who are Wassoulou legends...I listen to this album on my commute to school, and no matter how shitty the weather, or how smelly my neighbor on the train is, these songs bring a smile to my face.(also perfect for weed-soaked Ea Skate 2 sessions)
*right click link: save link as to download

Aye Yafama* this song is in-fuckin-fectious! After hearing it me and Drew dance around the house singing our own made up lyrics to the parts that get stuck in our heads
Moko Balou
Visit Awesome Tapes from Afria for the rest of the album.


Onipa Nua is a former street performer from Ghana who died right after he got discovered and recorded this album. His voice sounds like Buju Banton gargling gravel, and it scared me at first. DO NOT LISTEN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN HEADPHONES WITH THE VOLUME ALL THE WAY UP!

I Feel Alright-just try not to "feel alright" while this track's on. I can't help but imagine a huge black man rollerskating on the Venice boardwalk to this song.


This is a podcast he did for XLR8R... its dope... Go to the site and search all the old posts. There are soooo many gems...

No comments: